1. Additional information on each candidate:
SSharon S. Baum Kuska, Ph.D., P.E., LEED A.P. (incumbent)
SSharon S. Baum Kuska, Ph.D., P.E., LEED A.P. (incumbent)
2. Spouse: Galen Kuska, farmer
Casey Kuska (wife Kristina), employed as a 4th grade teacher in the Independence, Missouri school system, currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Educational Administration (expected graduation – December 2014), a graduate of Northwest Missouri State University and 2006 graduate of Exeter-Milligan Public Schools
Allee Kuska, a second year medical student at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, a graduate of Nebraska Wesleyan University and 2007 graduate of Exeter-Milligan Public Schools
Megan Kuska White (husband Justin White), employed by Farmers Cooperative, lives on a farm between Exeter and Milligan, a graduate of Northwest Missouri State University and 2008 graduate of Exeter-Milligan Public Schools
3. Background history: I am currently beginning my 29th year as a professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the College of Architecture. I have degrees in architecture and engineering: bachelors in architectural studies, masters and doctorate in civil engineering. I am a licensed Professional Civil Engineer. When Galen and I got married 28 years ago, I moved into the Exeter-Milligan community to start the next phase of my life. I am originally from Tecumseh, Nebraska, where I grew up on a farm with three brothers.
4. Motivation to become a School Board member: At this time, I am motivated to seek re-election to another term on the Exeter-Milligan School Board as I feel I can still make a positive contribution to the education of the youth in our district. I have a strong passion for education and for the community, and feel I can make decisions and suggestions that can serve the best interests of both the students and patrons.
- My wife is Becky Erdkamp, who is currently employed as the Marketing Manager at our family car dealership. We have two young sons. Deacon is four and just started preschool in the new TYKE program at Exeter-Milligan Public Schools, and Axel will turn three in October. I was born and raised in Exeter, graduated from Doane College in 2000, and we have made Exeter our home since the beginning of 2004 after living in Denver for a little more than three and a half years.
As I mentioned before I grew up in Exeter and graduated from Exeter Public Schools in 1996. After four years of study I graduated with a degree in Business Administration from Doane College in 2000. In the spring of that year I accepted a management training position from FirstBank Holding Company of Colorado. During the training program I gained experience in several different areas of bank operations and management. Upon completion of the training program I worked as a Bank Officer and was eventually promoted to Vice President. In late 2004 I left the bank to return home and work with my Dad at our family’s car dealership.
Currently I help with the overall management of our Chrysler Group dealership. I spend the majority of my time assisting customers with vehicle purchases and arranging financing for customers.
- I enjoy being able to help contribute toward the betterment of the community and have had the opportunity to be involved with several local groups and organizations. I feel being a member of the Exeter-Milligan School Board would allow me to make a valuable impact in our community by helping to provide a good learning environment for the children in our school system. I would also like to become a member of the School Board so I can have a voice and be present as our communities make the important decisions we will face in the years to come. Because my kids are just coming into the district I feel it is a good time to become involved regarding their educational experience. I feel my business background and volunteer experiences would help me make educated an fair decisions. I am more than willing to listen to different opinions, as we need to consider all options when making choices that will directly impact the lives and educational outcomes of the children in our communities.
# - Husband – Jeff, Daughters – Kate – 8th grader in Exeter and Cameran – 5th grader in Milligan
- - I was born and raised in Manhattan, Kansas and following graduation attended Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, Kansas. While playing women’s basketball I earned an Associate of Arts degree. I continued my education and basketball career at Doane College in Crete and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree with a business major. It was while I was in college that I met my now husband and decided to stay in the area. I currently am a consumer loan officer at Farmers and Merchants Bank in Milligan and am in my 15th year of employment.
# - Four years ago I participated in Fillmore County’s leadership program, known as ODEGEO. Since that time I considered the possibility of serving on the school board given the opportunity. I feel that it is important to have representation not only from both communities but in gender and age as well. This natural variety of insight and perspective is what optimistically nurtures a well-rounded board.
- Wife Becky. Works at Greg’s Market. Children: Mariah graduated from Exeter-Milligan and is attending college at Peru State. Nathan graduated from Exeter-Milligan is attending Wayne State. Alicia graduated Exeter-Milligan and is finishing up at Central Community College Columbus and will transfer. Kelsey is a 9th grader at Exeter-Milligan
_ - My background is shady at best! I picked myself up and made something of myself! I endeavored and succeeded, this is a powerful lesson.
- To help our school to become a better learning facility. To get our students prepared for higher education or to become successful in the work force. My main goal would be to show them values, ethics, and how to stay on the right path to achieve their goals.