According to Exeter Village ordinance 6-101 any dog over the age of 4 months has to be licensed within 30 days of ownership. Cats have to be licensed within 4 months of ownership according to 6-113.
The licenses are available at the city office Monday through Thursday from 8 -5 and are just $1.00 for male dogs, spayed female dogs and all cats. Unspayed female dogs cost $3.00 to license. This is an ANNUAL fee. Licenses are due each May 1st and are delinquent June 1st.
Why should I get a license for Fluffy and Fido? Well, they need to have their license on their collar in case they get loose in town. According to ordinance 6-105 "Uncollared dogs found running at large shall be killed or impounded in the Municipal Dog Shelter by the Municpal Police."
So, if your dog or cat doesn't have a collar with a license if caught they can be impounded or killed. If the dog is impounded ordinance 6-106 requires that the owner pay impoundment fee of ten dollars plus licensing within the first 24 hours, after that a reclaiming fee of ten dollars is added on to that. After 72 hours the dog may be destroyed by the Village Police.
In obtaining a dog license owners must present proof of the dogs current rabies shot for the village records.
Here's a great stocking stuffer for Fluffy and Fido, a bright shiny new license from the Exeter Village.
- Exeter Village Ordinances - Chapter 1 Civil Admini...
- Exeter Village Ordinances: Municipal Planning
- Exeter Village Ordinances: Fire Regulations
- Exeter Village Ordinances: Public Utilities
- Exeter Village Ordninances: Public Ways and Proper...
- Exeter Village Ordinances: Business Regulations
- Exeter Village Ordinances: Vehicles and Traffic
- Exeter Village Ordinances: Misdemeanors
- Exeter Village Ordinances - Commissions and Boards...
- Stories from Exeter
- Photos from Exeter
- Exeter's Strategic Plan
- Exeter Community Guide
- Exeter Aquatic Center Rules