NEBRASKA FCCLA MEMBERS RECOGNIZED WITH SUCCESS AT NATIONAL LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA) brought more than 7,500 of its student leaders, members and advisers to Nashville, Tennessee July 2nd-6th to participate in its National Leadership Conference. Nebraska was well represented by more than 250 students, advisers, and guests.
The conference provided opportunities for students and advisers to come together to learn about new initiatives in the organization, hear from inspiring speakers, as well as to expand leadership skills, sharpen talents and explore career pathways. The theme of this year’s conference was “Unlimited Possibilities” and attendees were challenged to discover and grow their potential to make change in their local communities, schools, and families.
The FCCLA Leadership Academy develops leadership, employability, and 21st Century skills and gives members the opportunity to be recognized for their personal growth efforts. Through the program, members are given the opportunity to explore and practice essentials for the roles of family member, wage earner and community leader. The eight members of the Nebraska FCCLA State Officer Team participated in the Leadership Academy.
In addition to the many learning and networking experiences offered at the conference, more than 30 Family and Consumer Sciences related events, also known as STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) Events were offered, providing competitions in such areas as Culinary Arts, Entrepreneurship, Sports Nutrition, Career Investigation, and Fashion Construction for more than 5,000 event participants. Nebraska came home with 94 Gold medals, 37 Silver Medals, and 10 Bronze medals and had multiple individuals and teams score in the top 10 nationally. Colton Kraft from Waverly High School, received 3rd place in Interior Design earning a $1,00 Scholarship from the Art Institute. This scholarship was presented during a special STAR Event Scholarship session hosted by FCCLA.
Nebraska members brought home 48 Top Ten award winning events. The Top Ten award winners are:
· Andrea Jackson, Franklin – Chapter Service Project Display, Gold
· Emma Bixler, Neligh-Oakdale – Environmental Ambassador, Gold
· Adrianna Vinton, Mullen – Environmental Ambassador, Gold
· Brooke Ehlers, Mary Walnofer, Chambers – Food Innovations, Gold
· Callie Carraher, Sydney Schildt, Madeline Wittstruck, Interpersonal Communications, Gold
· Taylee Neefe, Hemingford – Job Interview, Gold
· Robyn Isom, O’Neill – Leadership, Gold
· Caitlin Murphy, Exeter-Milligan – Life Event Planning, Gold
· Hayley Vitosh, Chase County – Sports Nutrition, Gold
· Tessa Metschke, Chambers – Teach and Train, Gold